Admission Requirements

To be accepted to study at the EBC University, you have to fulfil certain requirements, as at any other university. These vary, depending on the degree you wish to acquire and on any possible special requirements. The admission requirements for studying at one of our universities are listed below. Should you have any questions, please contact our student counselling.

Bachelor of Arts

For admission to this degree course at the EBC University, you need a German ‘Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB)’ (University Admission Entitlement). You should have one of the following educational certificates:

  • ‘Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife / Abiturzeugnis’ (High School Certificate) from a German educational establishment entitling the bearer to study at a university in Germany
  • ‘Zeugnis der fachgebundenen Hochschulreife’ from a German educational establishment entitling the bearer to study the desired subject at a university in Germany  
  • ‘Zeugnis der Fachhochschulreife / Fachabiturzeugnis’ with the theoretical part and proof of the practical part
  • Successful participation in the admission procedure of the EBC University at the location of your choice

Apply with the relevant application documents by post, by e-mail (PDF) or quite simply with our online application!

Application deadline for the winter semester 2014/15 is 15.08.2014.

Application Procedure

  1. After you submit your complete application documents, we arrange an appointment with you for the admission procedure. Centralised appointments are offered at the individual locations.
  2. At the agreed appointments, you go through the admission procedure. We give you the result a few days later.
  3. If all requirements are fulfilled, a study contract can be concluded. The application procedure should be completed in good time before the first semester, at the latest in the middle of September.

    You have the chance to apply with your last half-year´s certificate in class 12/1 or 13/1. After successfully completing the admission procedure, you will be provisionally accepted. Please send us a certified copy of your high-school certificate as soon as you receive it.

Special Admission Requirements

Studying without High-School Certificate

University Admission Entitlement for a specific Subject – If you do not have any of the above-mentioned certificates entitling you to study at a university, you can still start studying at a university if you:

  • have a school-leaving certificate from a ‘Realschule’ or an equivalent educational institution,
  • have completed vocational training which is suitable for the planned studies and
  • you have relevant professional experience.

You can then be provisionally matriculated at universities. Periods of National Service are credited to you. Please note the different requirements of the individual federal states in Germany.

Examination Entitlement

If you were matriculated at another German university, university of applied sciences or a comparable German institution in the course of study applied for or in an economics course, you should not have lost your entitlement to be examined there or failed any test or examination. Proof of your entitlement to take examinations must be enclosed with the application documents.

Recognition of certificates

In some cases, your school certificates must first be recognised. This must be done if:

  • your ‘Fachhochschulreife’ only entitles you to study in certain federal states,
  • there is no remark on your ‘Fachhochschulreife / Fachabitur’ regarding recognition in other federal states,
  • you have a certificate concerning the school part of the ‘Fachhochschulreife’ of a ‘Gymnasium’.

To obtain recognition, please go with officially certified copies to the relevant public authority:

Behörde für Schule und Berufsbildung Hamburg
Schulinformationszentrum (SIZ)
Hamburger Str. 35, 22083 Hamburg, Germany
Telephone +49 (0) 40.42899-2211

Senatsverwaltung für Bildung, Wissenschaft und Forschung Berlin Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle
Otto-Braun-Straße 27, 10178 Berlin, Germany
Telephone: +49 (0) 30.90227-5220

Bezirksregierung Düsseldorf
Cecilienallee 2, 40474 Düsseldorf, Germany
Telephone: +49 (0) 211.475-0

Sächsische Bildungsagentur Regionalstelle Dresden
Großenhainer Straße 92, 01127 Dresden, Germany
Telephone: +49 (0) 351.8439485

Foreign-language knowledge

For some of our courses you need special foreign-language knowledge. Please look at the information on the individual courses to find out where that applies. According to the course of study, various foreign-language combinations are possible:

  • English / Spanish with and without previous knowledge
  • English / French with previous knowledge
  • English / Chinese (only in IBM and TEM courses specialising in China)
  • English / Italian (only in the Fashion, Luxury and Retail Management courses)

Proof of German Knowledge for Students with a non-german School-Leaving Certificate

  • DSH Certificate, at least. Level 2
  • KDS – »Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom«, CEF Level C1 or
  • GDS – »Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom« from the Goethe Institute or
  • ZOP – »Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung« from the Goethe Institute, TestDaF – at least TDN 4* in all parts of the exam)

This also applies to post-war refugees and Germans who have obtained their entitlement to university admission abroad. At least CEF Level C1.

Application with Foreign Certificates

If you apply with a foreign certificate to EBC Hochschule, we advise you to first check with your local German consulate or embassy to find out whether your school certificate is equivalent to a German Fachabitur or Abitur. There are some steps to be taken should this not be the case, so we advise you to consult the German consular sections in your home country before sending us your full application. Should you have urgent queries concerning this matter, please contact our international office staff who will advise as much as they can. For administrative purposes, please note that our university is governed by the state law of the city state of Hamburg.